Allure Beauty Box - December & January

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Allure Magazine has a $15 beauty box that is on par with Birchbox, Play!, and Ipsy. They typically include more full-sized product and include beauty, skincare, and makeup tools. I haven't heard great things about their customer service, and there's little-to-no customization, so I'd skipped this one. Over the holidays, however, they ran a "First 6 months for $10 a month" promotion, so I bit. These are my boxes from December & January.  

allure beauty box december 2016
My first Allure box was December 2016. It is a little boring compared to flashier, makeup-focused boxes, but I will use almost everything. 
  • Coastal Salt & Soul Heavenly Hand Cream in Ocean Gardenia, full size, $10 - Subscribers received one of three scents, and I love mine, but it certainly isn't subtle. I keep this on my bedside table and love how quickly it absorbs with no greasy residue whatsoever. 
  • Tula Advanced Neck Cream, sample size, $23.50 - I haven't tried this yet; I'm still working on finishing up my only other "neck cream" sample (which is such an unappealing product name. Neck Cream. Ugh). I typically just use my nighttime facial moisturizer on my neck as well, so it's not a high-priority must-try for me. 
  • Kevin Murphy Anti.Gravity Volumiser, sample size, $8 - Also haven't tried. I have many hair concerns, but the need for volume isn't really one of them. 
  • beautyblender blender cleanser, sample size, ~$3 - Okay, I haven't tried this either yet but I actually am excited to. I use a Sephora-bar cleanser for my sponges, brushes, and beautyblender, so it'll be nice to compare the two. 
  • Embryolisse Lait Creme Concentrate, sample size, $2.70 - I'm scared to try this. It gets great reviews but contains mostly mineral oil, which breaks me out. It's supposedly not only a moisturizer, but also a primer and makeup remover. 
  • European Wax Center Oh My Brow! Highlighter, full size, $19 - I've been going to the European Wax Center near my house for over two years now, but I've never tried their beauty products. I really can't get enough makeup sticks - I love them for my hurried parking lot makeup application mornings. This & the hand cream are my favorite items in the box. 
Total Paid: $10
Retail Value: $66.20


allure beauty box january 2017 dr brandt biobelle burt's bees oscar blandi sigma doucce
The January 2017 Allure box was more my style, in theory. While some of the colors aren't great for me, I like the variety of products a lot - a sheet mask, exfoliator, dry shampoo, lipstick, an eyeshadow brush & an eyeshadow quad ... one box with basically everything I need to get ready in the morning!

  • Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion Exfoliator, sample-size, $11.85 - I've tried Dr. Brandt's Poredermabasion, but never this product, so I look forward to trying it. It's suppose to be effective for every skin type. 
  • Biobelle #IWokeUpLikeThis Sheet Mask, full-size, $5 -  I love sheet masks, and this one has wild rose & vitamin C. 
  • Burt's Bees Lipstick in Blush Basin, full-size, $9 - The formula is super creamy and feels soothing & moisturizing on my lips, but I think the color tends a little too warm for my skin and sort of washes me out. 
  • Sigma Eyeshadow Brush E70, travel size, ? - The full size eyeshadow brushes seem to range from $16-20, but all of the travel mini brushes are free gifts with purchase on Sigma's website, so it's hard to judge the actual value. I'm going to say it's worth $8 since that's half of what a the full-sized brushes are retailing for. I love getting brushes in boxes, especially because I hate cleaning my brushes. :)
  • Doucce Eyeshadow Quad, full-size, $35 - The darkest charcoal gray is the only matte shade, the mauve and white are shimmery, and the lighter gray has just a little sparkle. I think these colors are cool and different compared to the neutral browns I typically get in beauty boxes, but I'm also a little nervous about trying them out. Allure has also said they'll be sending out other shades to swap in throughout the year, since this is an adjustable magnetic palette. Cool!
  • Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo, travel-size, $7 - I freaking love getting dry shampoo in beauty boxes. I haven't tried this one yet, but it's supposed to be transparent and smell like sweet lemons, so I'm sure it'll be used up. 
Total Paid: $10
Retail Value: $75.85


I apologize for the lack of swatches - I took a boomerang instead and just realized it won't work on Blogger. Whoops! If you're interested, spoilers for the February 2017 box are already out. Check them out!

Post a Comment

© Call Me Dina. Design by Fearne.