How to Know Your Makeup Obsession Has Gone Too Far

Monday, April 3, 2017


I was recently inspired (primarily by the Makeup Rehab subreddit and the Anti-Haul blog) to take inventory of my beauty products as a way to assess what I actually need and what I simply want to purchase out of impulse, because it's shiny and new and temporarily exciting. The "inventory" process took me a couple of weeks here and there, but guess what ... I finished taking stock, and it turns out that I have over 230 makeup items in my possession.

You read that right. Over 230.

If you're so inclined, check out my relatively organized inventory. Since I have so. much. stuff. I'm considering writing reviews as I use products up as a way to motivate myself to shop my own collection. I truly don't need another thing! While I've never hit VIB Rouge at Sephora, I do (clearly) spend way too much money on makeup that I could be spending on travel or student loan payments or literally anything other than more makeup I don't need.

I have a few goals to work toward:

  • Don't purchase a new product unless it fills a truly empty void or I've used up/destashed the product it's most similar to. 
  • Focus on using up products I already own (a.k.a. "Project Pan") - I'd like to pan 5 items completely before I purchase anything else
  • Finish my current lip hoarder project (where I have to wear every lip color in my collection once before I'm allowed to repeat). Check out posts here and here.
  • Don't hold on to products that don't work for me (be it because of the shade or formula, whatever) - it's not going to magically improve! 
  • Pay attention to the products I use & make notes on them; I'm bad about wearing things and not paying attention to how they wear throughout the day unless they're dramatically bad. I want to improve on that in order to be better informed for future purchases.

Wish me luck!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Call Me Dina. Design by Fearne.