April Check-In & Small Goals

Friday, April 14, 2017

Rifle Paper Co. Constellations Wall Calendar april 2017

It's time again for my monthly check-in. You may notice that it's two weeks late, but I've been putting off writing this post because frankly my goals were a bust. That's hard to share! March was a rough month for balancing school and work, and then Mass Effect: Andromeda was released. I really tried to hone in and finish the game on my one week away from school, which put all my other interests to the wayside and yet I still haven't finished the game.


Here were my sad & unfulfilled small goals for March:
  • Read a chapter a night | I fell off the wagon with this one. I began slipping because the book I was reading was just eerie enough to make me uncomfortable in the evenings, so I stopped wanting to read it before bed, but I also didn't carve out time to read during the day. 
  • Practice French every morning with my coffee | I don't know why I failed so miserably at this one. I started off really strong, zipping through my DuoLingo courses and getting excited about Montreal, and then one morning I simply didn't do it. I rushed out the door (like, honestly, I do pretty often) and didn't think about French again. With DuoLingo, every time you miss a day you lose some of your skills (which is good because it will refresh what you may need more practice with) but I started to get overwhelmed and didn't pick it up again.
  • Go on a walk once a week | I did this zero times, even with the beautiful weather. 
  • Watch one video for school every day | I watched a few videos for school, but certainly not enough, and I didn't do a single THING for school during my measly spring break, which was not ideal. 
  • Wait 24 hours before making any purchase | I actually did accomplish this, shockingly, and I feel great about it. I bought a few affordable Spring clothing items and I bought absolutely no makeup, so I'm pleased. I also thought this would be the most challenging of my small goals, but here I am. 
It's disappointing to see so much left undone, but I also think maybe those were bigger goals then I thought they would be. Habit-making takes time and effort and it may be better to focus on one at a time, moving forward. 

Part of what helped me so much with reigning in my purchases was taking that inventory of all my products. I still don't use everything I already have, so why am I compelled to go out and buy more? I know that I am a stress shopper, but things aren't bringing me any comfort. I'd much rather save for big purchases (a nice camera, plane tickets, or heck, Sansa's grooming). 

affordable fashion finds for spring hello sunshine straw hat blush bow mules ban.do passport floral denim flats guess marble statement sunglasses
For Spring, I've purchased a couple pairs of shoes, a kitschy sun hat, statement sunglasses (pictured above!), two off the shoulder dresses and a millenial pink windbreaker, so I feel good to go for warm weather wardrobe updates. I've started playing with eyeshadow shades I've been previously afraid of - like peaches and pinks - and have really liked the results. It's possible, or likely, that changing my hair from various cool pastel shades to a rich brown has affected my entire color palette. 

So what are my April goals? It's almost nerve-wracking to decide. 

April Small Goals
  • Work out 3 times | Three! Just three. ClassPass (use that link for $30 off your first month) is letting me take three classes for $10 in April ... to keep me from cancelling ... and I really want to take advantage of this, particularly since my favorite way to work out (Reformer Pilates) is exceptionally expensive. 
  • No buy of clothes/makeup | Self-explanatory. I don't need it, it won't fulfill me, and if I love it enough to still love it in May, maybe I can buy it. 
  • Watch my school videos | I pay $25 a month for Team Treehouse (which I highly recommend) as a supplement to what I'm learning in class, so I need to find the time to actually utilize them. 

And that's it. Three goals for April, so that I can hone in on them and hopefully accomplish all three. 

currently watching: flipping between Bates Motel and Ripper Street
currently reading: also flipping between The Possessions and The Shadow Rising
currently listening: The Decemberists whole discography in preparation for their show at the Ryman

Post a Comment

© Call Me Dina. Design by Fearne.