Lip Hoarder Part 3

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

lipstick collection three - julep nyx manna kadar bareminerals cailyn colourpop urban decay clinique tarte lancome

Overall, I have really been enjoying my Lip Hoarder project. The only downside thus far is that every now and then I will try a product that I've owned for awhile and been hesitant to try, just to discover that I absolutely love it and want to wear it every day. I've been fine so far with using my favorite rosy nudes only once, as it seems there are always a couple more still on my shelf to be used in the future. I still haven't gotten around to destashing anything - I may wait until the entire project is done to do a thorough cleanse, but I wonder if setting aside products I want to get rid of immediately after wearing them and deciding I hate/dislike them would be better in the moment. 

Here's to round three of Lip Hoarder! 

lipstick swatches of the following - nyx liquid suede initator bareminerals crimson pop colourpop lumiere nudestix whisper mystic nyx brooklyn thorn julep covet lip oil
1. Nyx Liquid Suede in "Initiator" | Initiator came in a 3 pack I ordered from the Nyx website, and apparently that's actually the only way it can be purchased! However, the trio is still available for only $6 while one Nyx Liquid Suede Cream is normally $6.99, so if there's any chance you'll wear more ~adventurous~ colors, I highly recommend it. Initiator was the shade I was the least excited about trying - nothing about an orangey brown seemed like it would work for my skin. Miraculously, though, I adore it for Spring, and I cannot wait to be able to pull it out again. 
2. bareMinerals Pop of Passion Lip Oil Balm in "Crimson Pop" | Perfectly decent little tinted lip balm from bareMinerals in a limited edition shade. I'd recommend these to anyone specifically looking for tinted balms, as the color payoff is good compared to other brands. 
3. Colourpop Lippie Stix in "Lumiere" | Lumiere (and the matching lip liner) are my absolute favorite items I own from Colourpop. Described as a dusty mauve matte, it suits my coloring perfectly.
4 & 5. NudeStix Lip and Cheek Dual Pencil in "Whisper/Mystic" | I want to like NudeStix. I like the brand story (founded by teen sisters and their mom to celebrate everyone's "natural beauty". I used Mystic repeatedly, hoping to suddenly like it. I even tried Whisper more than once, though it gave me concealer lips. These shades just do not work for me, though. Whisper is too pale and Mystic is too warm, and neither are particularly long-lasting. 
6. Nyx Liquid Suede in "Brooklyn Thorn" | Luckily, I have yet to find a Nyx Suede formula I dislike. Brooklyn Thorn is the gray-brown I never knew I needed (jk, I knew I needed it) and it's an absolute favorite. A little edgy without being too dramatic, it's a shade I'm comfortable wearing regularly. 
7. Julep Your Lip Addiction Lip Oil in "Covet" | Eeee I love this little lip oil. I think I added it on just to receive free shipping on some Julep order, and I've ended up really valuing it. The lip oil adds just enough color while being really moisturizing and glossy, without the added stickiness. 

lipstick swatches of the following cailyn hospitable matte tint clinique pink honey lancome juicy shaker boom-meringue manna kadar lip locked priming stain gloss lucky tarte rainforest of the sea lip rescue quench nude urban decay vice lipstick rock steady nyx liquid suede run the world
8. Cailyn Pure Lust Extreme Matte Tint in "Hospitable"  | This ... is ... the worst lip product I've ever used. I hate to say that, it's so aggressive, but it's true. I have never tried another Cailyn product, so I certainly wouldn't make that statement about the company as a whole (which, on the plus side, is cruelty-free) but this 'Pure Lust Extreme Matte Tint' was bad in every way. The shade was pale & concealer-y, again, It dried instantaneously and and fell into every crack and crevice of my lips in the most unflattering way possible, and was then impossible to remove. I had to use my oil cleanser and scrubscrubscrub to get it to budge, at which point my lips were extra tender and red. Do not and cannot recommend. 
9. Clinique Almost Lipstick in "Pink Honey" | I like it, but I don't love it. I'm realizing that I simply don't need multiple lightly tinted balm-like products, and Clinique's Almost Lipsticks just aren't special enough for me to want to keep them in my collection. 
10. Lancome Juicy Shaker in "Boom-Meringue" | I don't know why I felt the need to pick this up after already owning the Julep Lip Oil, but I did! It's sweetly scented and has a cute little applicator and schtick (the, you know, shaking bit), but honestly it just isn't up to par with my oil from Julep. 
11. Manna Kadar Lip Locked Priming Stain in "Lucky" | Manna Kadar has been shoved down beauty box subscribers throats over the past year, but they do have some products I really enjoy (such as the Fantasy eyeshadow/highlighter). I have finally given up on this one, though. It applies nicely and is pigmented for a 'gloss', but it always forms that weird, gross pale line where my lips meet. It's time to move on. 
12. tarte Rainforest of the Sea Quench Lip Rescue in "Nude" | This product fits perfectly into my "unecessary" pile. Pretty packaging does not a vital product make, and it isn't nourishing enough to be kept as a true lip balm. 
13. Urban Decay Vice Lipstick in "Rock Steady" | Urban Decay's Rock Steady is my favorite red! It's cool-toned and helps me channel my inner Gwen Stefani. I am fond of UD's Vice formula (obviously, since I've bought three of them at $17 a pop) and truly adore this richly pigmented red. 
14. Nyx Liquid Suede in "Run the World" | Another Nyx Suede, so I won't take up much time here, but - yes, it's vivid and a joy to wear and included in the trio with Initiator. 

2 comments

  1. I'm kinda surprised because I have a Cailyn Matte Tint that I've really liked...but I also don't know shit. Always possible you got a bad tube, right??

    Priya the Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tbh I'm really critical of liquid matte lips - there aren't many I like at all, even with a lip balm base. i've never gotten used to the drying sensation of, like, kylie or colourpop liquid mattes. i have ended up gifting my two cailyn extreme mattes away because i thought they were too drying, but i'm sure their other formulas are less..... "extreme" :)

      Delete

© Call Me Dina. Design by Fearne.