May 2017 Ipsy Glambag Review

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

At long last (well, a little over a year, to be more precise), I think my love affair with Ipsy is coming to an end. Nothing has changed about the service and I still think it can be a fun way to treat yourself every month, but my makeup collection is expansive. I have reached the point where it is rare for me to receive something I don't already own in a similar shade and finish. This month even contained two items I very specifically wanted and was very specifically excited to try, but ... not because I need  it. I was just curious about the formula! While for many people that is the point of beauty subscriptions, I have a humongous backlog of samples that I am never going to use up. I will definitely still be receiving a June bag, but I am actually considering cancelling for July ... at least for a little while! 

Urban Decay Afterglow Powder Highlighter in "Sin" | RV $9.57. This was one of the products I was most excited to try this month, but also a product that made me realize how little I actually need to continue trying your typical champagne highlight. In the photo below, it's the third swatch from the top - it's shimmery and pigmented and really lovely, but it's simply not a product I need now or anytime soon. The sample alone would likely take me a year to finish.
It Cosmetics Superhero Elastic Stretch Volumizing Mascara | RV $$13.60. This was the second product I was excited to try! The It Cosmetics Superhero Mascara gets consistently great reviews and I look forward to sampling it, but yet again ... when will that be? I'm currently working through a mascara stash and have ten I'd like to use up before starting on this one. 
JellyPongPong Supercharged Super Intense Eyeshadow Duo in "Electric" | RV $22.95, Full-size. I have been on an overwhelmingly huge eyeshadow kick lately, so I was glad to be receiving this duo. In the photo below, the shades are the top two swatches on bare skin. They don't look too impressive, but I'll be trying them over primer before writing them off. The compact they came in is charming, but I do think $22.95 is quite an inflated price. If I'd been able to choose, I would have picked the teal and bronze variation of this duo for a little more contrast. 
Cailyn Cosmetics Pure Lust Extreme Matte Tint + Velvet in "Practicable" | RV $19, Full-size. You may recall my previous experience with a Cailyn Cosmetics Extreme Matte Tint, as conveyed in my Lip Hoarder Part Three post which was basically that it's a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad matte lipstick. "Practicable" was better. Described as a "cinnamon nude", the shade was much more flattering and the application was a breeze. As you're applying, it feels like it's going to be a perfect matte lip paint ... but then it dries, and it isn't. Though better than my first experience, Cailyn's Matte Lip Tints still dry your lips out so badly they pucker, which is universally unflattering. It's also impossible to remove - I tried my face wash, a lip scrub, a cleansing oil, and a scrubbing brush, and my lips are still tinted. Shade - beautiful. Product - stay far away. 
Adesse New York Gel Polish in "Surfer Girl" | RV $18, Full-size. I love nail polish (obviously, I have a Julep subscription) and I like this shade and the fact that it's a gel-like finish. My only qualm with receiving this polish is that just last month I received a nail polish in almost the exact same shade from Ipsy. It's not a big deal and I prefer the Adesse polish to the Defy & Inspire polish, but I'd prefer to diversify my collection. 


Total Paid: $10
Total Retail Value: $83.12


That value is wild for a $10 subscription bag, but again, I think some of the values were inflated, particularly on the JellyPongPong shadow duo. I also think $18 is an awful lot to spend on a single polish, but it's not unheard of - the gorgeous Smith & Cult polishes are also $18 a pop. Regardless, this bag was well worth $10, but it's just not meeting a need anymore. I'm at a point where I would rather spend more to have exactly what I want than $10 to have a variety of new items to try. I'm sure it's a pendulum, but for now I plan to pause my Ipsy subscription. 

To try Ipsy yourself, sign up here for a monthly beauty bag! 

Post a Comment

© Call Me Dina. Design by Fearne.